One of the most difficult and time consuming phases of the Eastern Extension of PBGT will be building the SH 66 bridge at Liberty Grove/Kirby. The main lanes of the turnpike will be built under SH 66, while keeping SH 66 open to through traffic.
SH 66 will be reduced from three lanes each direction to two lanes in each direction in mid July as all traffic is switched to the westbound lanes. This shift will continue until early 2011, and then traffic will all be shifted to the eastbound lanes for the remainder of this phase. The projected completion for the entire project is late 2011.
According to the North Texas Tollway Authority (NTTA):
– Westbound lanes of SH 66 between Bowl-A-Rama to Target to be widened in early July
– Existing median in that area to be removed
– Reducing thru lanes from three to two in each direction in mid July
– Protected left turn lanes onto Liberty Grove and Kirby Roads will be provided
– Access to businesses within the project limits will be open at all times
– Existing two entrances to the Super Target shopping center from SH 66 will remain open
– Minimum of one existing entrance to the Super Target shopping center from Liberty Grove Road to be continually open
– Liberty Grove Road traffic north of SH 66 to be shifted onto the new northbound frontage road in July
– Shift on Liberty Grove begins at Covington’s Nursery and continues passed the Mariner’s Park subdivision
For more information go to NTTA’s website at www.ntta.org.